Road Closures

Sub Menu


From the 4 September 2017, any person wishing to prohibit or restrict traffic using public roads to facilitate a special event (any sporting event, social event, entertainment or making a film) taking place on the public road, may apply to Council.

After public notification and consultation with various statutory bodies including the PSNI and NIFRS, and after receiving the consent of the Department for Infrastructure Roads, Council will determine if a Road Closure Order is to be made.

Department for Infrastructure Roads has a responsibility for special roads such as the motorways.

The making of a film includes the making of TV programmes, films or advertisements.

There are a number of activities which are not "special events" for the purposes of this legislation.  These are:

  • Public Processions
  • Motor Road Races
  • Cycle Races or Trials

Applicants should note that although the legislation provides the power to prohibit or restrict the use of a public road, pedestrian access to any premises situated on or adjacent to the road or any other premises accessible for pedestrians from, and only from, the road must be maintained at all times.

Guidance for promoters of events issued by the Department for infrastructure is available to download.


Advertising Your Road Closure

You must provide plenty of notice in order to publicly advertise the road closure.  You must allow a 21 day period for representations to be submitted and to be determined by Council.  An application form and accompanying guidance notes are available to download below:


Completed application forms should be returned to:

Environmental Services Department
Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council
Ballymoney Office
Riada House
14 Charles Street
BT53 6DZ

You can also email this to: