Births, Deaths, Marriages and Civil Partnerships
PUBLIC NOTICE UPDATED 27 MARCH 2020 - Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council has introduced the below measures for the Registration Service as part of its response to COVID-19:
The Registration offices will be closed to visitors from 27 March. We appreciate your co-operation and understanding at this difficult time. Please telephone or email the relevant registration office if you need to register a death.
Legislation has come into force that allows death registrations to be carried out without the attendance of an informant at the registration office. This will reduce/remove face to face contact with the general public and enable the registration service to be sustained as long as possible. The legislation relates to the registration of all deaths.
Please see the below temporary revised opening hours from Monday 30 March and contact information for each of the four offices which may be udated if there are any changes.
Ballycastle: Sheskburn House, 7 Mary Street, Ballycastle BT54 6QH - Open Monday to Friday 10am to 2pm
Tel 028 2076 1657
Ballymoney: Riada House, 14 Charles Street, Ballymoney, BT53 6DZ - Open Monday to Friday10am to 2pm
Tel: 028 2766 0206
Coleraine: Cloonavin, 66 Portstewart Road, Coleraine, BT52 1EY - Open Monday to Friday 9am to 1pm and 1pm to 5pm for cemetery administration
Tel: 028 7034 7034 / 7020 / 7021
Limavady: 7 Connell Street, Limavady, BT49 OHA - Open Monday to Friday 10am to 2pm
Tel: 028 7776 0309
OUT OF HOURS CONTACT NUMBER: 07714627171 – Janet McCaughey
25 March - Stormont ministers have confirmed that no weddings are to take place with immediate effect. This includes weddings and civil partnerships in registrations offices and approved venues.
From 25 March a process is in place to ensure that parents can continue to register their child with their GP without the HS123 form. Please see the following advice:
Parents can continue to register their child at a GP practice during the suspension of the birth registration process. Parents should be advised that they will require the following information when they contact the GP practice:
- Child's Health & Care Number - located in your child's red book
- Full name child is to be registered as
- Home Address child will be residing at
On foot of the Prime Minister’s announcement on the evening of 23 March, Council has suspended the birth registration service from 24 March for the next 3 weeks. The situation will be reviewed after that period. (see guidance to new mums document attached at bottom of this page)
From 23 March until further notice, we will not be able to facilitate weddings or civil partnership ceremonies in our civic buildings. We are in direct contact with any couples who are impacted and will keep this under review. For venue ceremonies, the maximum numbers in attendance will be limited to 5 people (2 persons getting married, 2 witnesses and the officiant) however this may change in the near future. Currently we cannot take any new bookings as we will need to reschedule couples who sadly have been affected at this time.
From 20 March you can only give notice for your marriage or civil partnership by post. Please send your original completed marriage or civil partnership notice forms to the relevant office, along with photocopies of your birth certificates and passports. For religious marriages and civil marriages officiated by a humanist celebrant you can send a cheque for £52.00 (£22.00 per notice and £8.00 for the marriage certificate) made payable to Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council, or we can contact you for payment by telephone. You will still be able to collect your schedule in person once ready. After the marriage ceremony takes place, please return schedule by post or leave in secure post box at the relevant office location. Staff will register and post out your marriage certificate.
Information booklets & leaflets are available at the Registration Reception. Forms are available to the Public for Name changes, Adoptions, Re-registrations, Marriage and Civil Partnership Application, Birth and Death registration.
Please find below forms which are on the NI Direct website www.nidirect.gov.uk and links to where they can be found:
- commemorative https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/commemorative-certificate-application-form
- GRO 004 birth registration https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/birth-registration-form
- GRO 012 birth registration - record fathers name https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/birth-re-registration-forms
- GRO 013 declaration of parentage form - married https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/declaration-paternity-form
- GRO 015 birth registration - married since birth https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/birth-re-registration-forms
- GRO 040 Birth certificate https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/birth-certificate-application-form
- GRO 040a Adoption certificate https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/adoption-certificate-application-form
- GRO 041 Death certificate https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/death-certificate-application-form
- GRO 041a Stillbirth certificate https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/stillbirth-certificate-application-form
- GRO 042 Marriage certificate https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/marriage-certificate-application-form
- GRO 073 Death registration https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/death-registration-form
- GRO 099 Civil partnership-certificate https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/civil-partnership-certificate-application-form
- GRO 229 Birth certificate https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/birth-certificate-amendment-form
- GRO 230 name change under 18 https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/change-name-application-form-child-under-18
- GRO 231 name change over 18 https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/change-name-application-form-anyone-18-or-over
- GRO 433 Civil partnership notice https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/civil-partnership-notice-form
- GRO 446 Marriage notice https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/marriage-notice-form
- GRO 447 Marriage index-search https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/marriage-index-search-application-form
- GRO 460 Permanent officiant https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/permanent-officiant-application-form
- GRO 461 Additional permanent-officiant https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/additional-permanent-officiant-application-form
- GRO 464 Temporary officiant church https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/temporary-officiant-application-forms
- GRO 465 Temporary officiant without church https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/temporary-officiant-application-forms
- GRO 470 Humanist Temporary officiant https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/temporary-celebrant-application-form
- ACR 7 adoption contact reg part 1 https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/application-form-entry-part-1-adoption-contact-register-if-you-are-over-18-years-age-and-have-been
- ACR 11 adoption contact reg part 2 https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/application-form-entry-part-2-adoption-contact-register-if-you-are-over-18-years-age-and-member
- ACR 14 access birth records pre 1987 https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/application-form-access-birth-records-by-person-adopted-18-december-1987-acr-14
- ACR 15 access birth records post 1987 https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/application-form-access-birth-records-by-person-adopted-or-after-18-december-1987-acr-15
- Record NI connections form- entry to be made https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/record-northern-ireland-connections-forms
- Record NI connections form - copy of entry https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/record-northern-ireland-connections-forms
Each office can only provide certificates for a Birth, Death, Marriage or Civil Partnership when you are registering the event. You can order certificates for previously registered events in one of the following ways:
- Online: www.nidirect.gov.uk
- Telephone: 0300 200 7890
- Post: Ask a member of staff for an application form
- In Person: The General Register Office (GRO), Colby House, Stranmillis Court, Belfast BT9 5RR
GRO holds records from 1845 for non-Roman Catholic marriages and 1 January 1864 onwards for all marriages, births and deaths.
Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council Registration Offices are located in Ballycastle, Ballymoney, Coleraine and Limavady.
Office opening hours are:
Monday – Friday: 9.30 am – 12.30 pm and 2.00 pm – 4.30 pm (Ballycastle Office open morning only)
Bank and Public Holidays excepted.
An appointments system operates.
Contact Details -
Sheskburn House, 7 Mary Street, Ballycastle BT54 6QH
Tel 028 2076 2225
Riada House, 14 Charles Street, Ballymoney, BT53 6DZ
Tel: 028 2766 0200
Cloonavin, 66 Portstewart Road, Coleraine, BT52 1EY
Tel: 028 7034 7034
7 Connell Street, Limavady, Bt49 OHA
Tel: 028 7772 2226