Births, Deaths, Marriages and Civil Partnerships
Last updated 10 July 2020
Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council has introduced the below measures for the Registration Service as part of its response to COVID-19:
Legislation has come into force that allows death registrations to be carried out without the attendance of an informant at the registration office. This will reduce/remove face to face contact with the general public and enable the registration service to be sustained as long as possible. The legislation relates to the registration of all deaths.
Council resumed the birth registration service on 15 June strictly by appointment - see office opening hours at bottom of this page.
We would request that parents scan and email the GRO4 form (see below link) if they can or post to the relevant registration office to enable us to input the information to our system in advance and make contact to arrange an appointment according to the date of birth. https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/birth-registration-form An editable version of the GRO4 form can be found at the bottom of this page.
Marriage and Civil Partnership
Currently you can only give notice for your marriage or civil partnership by post. Please send your original completed marriage or civil partnership notice forms to the relevant office, along with photocopies of your birth certificates and passports. For religious marriages and civil marriages officiated by a humanist celebrant you can send a cheque for £52.00 (£22.00 per notice and £8.00 for the marriage certificate) made payable to Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council, or we can contact you for payment by telephone. You will be able to collect your schedule in person once ready. After the marriage ceremony takes place, please return schedule by post or leave in secure post box at the relevant office location. Staff will register and post out your marriage certificate.
We are currently dealing with civil ceremonies which have been previously booked or have been rescheduled and are unable to accept any new bookings until October 2020.
Following the NI Executives announcements on 6 and 9 July in relation to marriages and civil partnerships, it is now possible from 10 July to hold these events indoors. The Executive Office guidance is attached at the bottom of this page. It provides detail on what can happen at the ceremony and should be read by all registrars, celebrants, officiants and venue managers.
Information booklets & leaflets are available at the Registration Reception. Forms are available to the Public for Name changes, Adoptions, Re-registrations, Marriage and Civil Partnership Application, Birth and Death registration.
Please find below forms which are on the NI Direct website www.nidirect.gov.uk and links to where they can be found:
- commemorative https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/commemorative-certificate-application-form
- GRO 004 birth registration https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/birth-registration-form
- GRO 012 birth registration - record fathers name https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/birth-re-registration-forms
- GRO 013 declaration of parentage form - married https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/declaration-paternity-form
- GRO 015 birth registration - married since birth https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/birth-re-registration-forms
- GRO 040 Birth certificate https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/birth-certificate-application-form
- GRO 040a Adoption certificate https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/adoption-certificate-application-form
- GRO 041 Death certificate https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/death-certificate-application-form
- GRO 041a Stillbirth certificate https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/stillbirth-certificate-application-form
- GRO 042 Marriage certificate https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/marriage-certificate-application-form
- GRO 073 Death registration https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/death-registration-form
- GRO 099 Civil partnership-certificate https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/civil-partnership-certificate-application-form
- GRO 229 Birth certificate https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/birth-certificate-amendment-form
- GRO 230 name change under 18 https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/change-name-application-form-child-under-18
- GRO 231 name change over 18 https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/change-name-application-form-anyone-18-or-over
- GRO 433 Civil partnership notice https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/civil-partnership-notice-form
- GRO 446 Marriage notice https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/marriage-notice-form
- GRO 447 Marriage index-search https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/marriage-index-search-application-form
- GRO 460 Permanent officiant https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/permanent-officiant-application-form
- GRO 461 Additional permanent-officiant https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/additional-permanent-officiant-application-form
- GRO 464 Temporary officiant church https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/temporary-officiant-application-forms
- GRO 465 Temporary officiant without church https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/temporary-officiant-application-forms
- GRO 470 Humanist Temporary officiant https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/temporary-celebrant-application-form
- ACR 7 adoption contact reg part 1 https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/application-form-entry-part-1-adoption-contact-register-if-you-are-over-18-years-age-and-have-been
- ACR 11 adoption contact reg part 2 https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/application-form-entry-part-2-adoption-contact-register-if-you-are-over-18-years-age-and-member
- ACR 14 access birth records pre 1987 https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/application-form-access-birth-records-by-person-adopted-18-december-1987-acr-14
- ACR 15 access birth records post 1987 https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/application-form-access-birth-records-by-person-adopted-or-after-18-december-1987-acr-15
- Record NI connections form- entry to be made https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/record-northern-ireland-connections-forms
- Record NI connections form - copy of entry https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/record-northern-ireland-connections-forms
Each office can only provide certificates for a Birth, Death, Marriage or Civil Partnership when you are registering the event. You can order certificates for previously registered events in one of the following ways:
- Online: www.nidirect.gov.uk
- Telephone: 0300 200 7890
- Post: Ask a member of staff for an application form
- In Person: The General Register Office (GRO), Colby House, Stranmillis Court, Belfast BT9 5RR
GRO holds records from 1845 for non-Roman Catholic marriages and 1 January 1864 onwards for all marriages, births and deaths.
Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council Registration Offices are located in Ballycastle, Ballymoney, Coleraine and Limavady.
Office opening hours are:
Monday – Friday: 9.30 am – 12.30 pm and 2.00 pm – 4.30 pm (Ballycastle Office open morning only)
Bank and Public Holidays excepted.
An appointments system operates.
Contact Details -
Sheskburn House, 7 Mary Street, Ballycastle BT54 6QH
Tel 028 2076 2225 / 028 2076 1657
Riada House, 14 Charles Street, Ballymoney, BT53 6DZ
Tel: 028 2766 0200 / 028 2766 0206
Cloonavin, 66 Portstewart Road, Coleraine, BT52 1EY
Tel: 028 7034 7034 / 028 7034 7020 / 028 7034 7021
7 Connell Street, Limavady, BT49 OHA
Tel: 028 7772 2226 / 028 7776 0309
OUT OF HOURS CONTACT NUMBER: 07714627171 – Janet McCaughey