Energy Performance of Buildings

Sub Menu

Buildings are responsible for almost 50 per cent of the UK's energy consumption and carbon emissions. From 30th December 2008 all properties - homes and commercial - when constructed or being marketed for sale or rent require an energy performance certificate (EPC). Large public buildings must also display an energy performance certificate, known as a Display Energy Certificate (DEC).

An energy performance certificate tells you how energy efficient your property is, and includes recommendations for improving its energy rating.  

It's based on:

  • Type of construction
  • Thermal insulation
  • Heating system
  • Lighting

It's required even if there is no heating system or services at the moment, such as in commercial retail shell units or incomplete dwellings.

Certificates remain valid for 10 years but you should get a new certificate if you carry out any major refurbishment or building work which could change the energy efficiency rating of your property.  

The Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council enforce the Energy Performance of Buildings Regulations (NI) within our Borough and can investigate if an energy performance certificate is not shown to a prospective tenant or buyer. Offenders can be fined up to £200 (dwellings) and £500 - £5,000 (any other property) and we can issue fines more than once. 

This initiative is the result of European legislation - the 2002 Energy Performance of Buildings Directive and the 2010 recast - which all Member States are required to adopt.

Listed below are links to the legislation


Further information can be obtained from:

Contact Us

If you would like further information, please contact us at our Limavady Office, 7 Connell Street, Limavady, BT49 0HA.