Councillor Cara McShane (SF)
Represents The Glens District Electoral Area
Contact Details: Mob 07752 417 316
The Diversity Champion’s responsibilities include:
1. To champion equality and diversity across the Council.
2. To display real interest and a desire to be kept appraised of developments in equality and diversity.
3. Attend and speak at key events in the Council.
4. Challenge other senior staff and elected members to promote the values of the equality and diversity.
5. Act as a focus in the Council for:
- engagement with staff
- sharing best practice on equality and diversity
- driving positive actions
- developing networks.
6. Promote the Council’s Disability Action Plan and Equality Action Plan.
7. Attend development events organised for Diversity Champions to become further familiarised with the role of the Diversity Champion.
8. Regular meetings with the other Diversity Champions to:
- help mentor new Champions
- share good practice
- contribute to a steering group
- develop case studies of good practice as appropriate.
9. Understand and effectively represent priorities for the local government sector in terms of equality and diversity.
10. Record and report back on issues and concerns to the Champions’ Network to help inform future progress and development.
11. Ensure relevant articles are placed in Council newsletters/briefings.