skip to main content

Homeowner Flood Protection Grant Scheme (Northern Ireland)

Sub Menu

Are you the owner of a residential property that has been flooded or is located within a known flood risk area? If so, you may be eligible to apply for a grant that is designed to encourage you to have your property modified to make it more resistant to flooding.

Overview of the Scheme

The Homeowner Flood Protection Grant Scheme (Northern Ireland) is a government scheme which is designed to encourage the owners of residential properties that have flooded before and/or are located within known flood prone areas, to modify their properties to make them more resistant to flooding.

The Grant Scheme is specifically aimed at residential properties that have flooded internally in the past and continue to be exposed to frequent flooding. It will allow owners of residential properties at risk of flooding to install physical barriers and equipment to help reduce the impact of flooding on their homes.

Tenants will not be eligible to apply for the scheme.

Measures homeowners can adopt which are covered under the scheme include door barriers, airbrick covers, non return drainage outlets and waterproofing walls.

The grant will cover 90 per cent of the cost, up to a maximum of £10,000 of the total survey and estimated installation, with successful applicants covering the remaining 10 per cent contribution (plus any additional cost that may be incurred above £10,000). Depending on the size and type of your property, the cost to you may typically fall within the range of £350 to £750.

Further information, including detailed guidance, question and answers, and an application form, is available from the DARD website - http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/flooding-in-your-area  or a copy can be requested from: 

      Flood Protection Grant Scheme Manager,
      River Agency,
      Hydebank,
      4 Hospital Road,
      Belfast, BT8 8JP       
      Tel: 028 9025 3355     Email : rivers.registry@dardni.gov.uk

Homeowner Flood Protection Grant Scheme (Northern Ireland) Leaflet