Complaints Procedure

Sub Menu

Complaints Procedure

On 1st January 2024, all complaints processed by the Council must go through the new Complaints Handling Procedure.  This has been developed by the Northern Ireland Public Services Ombudsman (NIPSO) in conjunction with Local Government.  You can read more in the Guide for person who wishes to make a complaint. Download our new Complaints Handling Procedure

Stage 1: Frontline Response

We aim to respond to complaints quickly (where possible, when you first tell us about the issue). This could mean an on-the-spot apology and explanation if something has clearly gone wrong, or immediate action to resolve the problem.We will give you our decision at stage 1 in 5 working days or less, unless there are exceptional circumstances.If you are not satisfied with the response, we give at stage 1, we will tell you what you can do next. If you choose to, you can take your complaint to stage 2. You must normally ask us to consider your complaint at stage 2 either:

within six months of the event you want to complain about or finding out that you have a reason to complain; or
within two months of receiving your stage 1 response from us (if this is later).

In exceptional circumstances, we may be able to accept a stage 2 complaint after the time limit. If you feel that the time limit should not apply to your complaint, please tell us why.

Stage 2: Investigation

Stage 2 deals with two types of complaint: those that have not been resolved at stage 1 and those that clearly require in-depth investigation, and so are handled at this stage following discussion and agreement with you. If you do not wish your complaint to be handled at stage 1, you can ask us to handle it at stage 2 instead.

What if I'm still dissatisfied?

After we have given you our final decision, if you are still dissatisfied with our decision or the way we dealt with your complaint, you can ask the Northern Ireland Public Services Ombudsman (NIPSO) to look at it. 

NIPSO’s contact details are:

The Northern Ireland Public Services Ombudsman

33 Wellington Place



Tel Freephone: 0800 34 34 24



(If you would like to visit in person, you must make an appointment first)

The freepost address is:


How do I complain? There are several ways to make a complaint, comment or give a compliment.


Fill in our complaints, comments form 

By email

Email us:

By letter

Write to:
Corporate Support
Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council
Freepost BEL570
66 Portstewart Road
BT52 1EY

By phone

Call us on 028 7034 7034 and ask to speak to the relevant department.


Call our Corporate Support office on 028 7034 7196.

In person

Face to face in any Council building