Belfast School of Art graduates’ exhibition set to open in Limavady
Fri, July 16, 2021
Roe Valley Arts and Cultural Centre in Limavady is delighted to present a new exhibition called ‘Under the Same Sun’ which will run from Saturday 17th July to Saturday 21st August.
As part of its commitment to support emerging local artists in challenging times, the works of six recent graduates who were unable to exhibit their ‘final show’ due to COVID-19 restrictions in 2020 will present their works here instead.
‘Under The Same Sun’ draws upon the commonality which holds us as a people and place together, speaking to shared joy and collective burden.
Although varied in their individual concerns, the six exhibiting artists are all recent graduates of the Belfast School of Art.
Dichotomies of natural and artificial, contemporary and traditional, and representation and abstraction are all investigated through a wide range of media and processes.
The Mayor of Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council Councillor Richard Holmes comments: “We are thrilled to be able to offer local and emerging artists this opportunity to exhibit at Roe Valley Arts and Cultural Centre. It is more important than ever to support the arts industry in the wake of COVID-19 and we hope that this will be a springboard for the artists at the start of their careers.”
The contributing artists are:
- Aoife Burns: Burns’ paintings explore the concept of boundaries and divided space, of place and identity.
- Rebecca Dawson: Dawson’s practice explores how we interact and use landscapes, and spaces that we inhabit - particularly with environments that are assumed to be 'natural', but rather are constructed.
- Claudia Rose McClelland: Claudia is a multi-disciplinary artist utilizing pseudo materiality to contrive a physicality of aberrant beings that lures a psychological disobedience from the spectator’s sentient reality.
- Mary Rebecca Morrison: A textile artist living and working in Belfast. With a focus on portraiture work, Mary Rebecca’s work is influenced by her family’s consistent documentation of their lives.
- Aimée Nelson: Aimee is a visual artist based in Belfast. Her work examines physical reality, our consciousness and the fragility of perception.
- Matthew Wilson: Matthew intimately surveys the terrain of memory; navigating what to say and what to leave unsaid. His work maps place, landscape and material.
You can find more information on the exhibition at https://www.roevalleyarts.com/exhibitions/under-the-same-sun.