skip to main content

Coleraine Motorcycle and Light Car Club

Sub Menu

Despite the popularity of the sport in Ballymoney, there were enough enthusiasts in the Causeway region to sustain other MC&LCCs. In fact, the Coleraine MC&LCC had been established in April 1922, three years before the Ballymoney MC&LCC.

The first official meeting of the Coleraine Club was a ‘flying mile’ held in June 1922 at Ballybogey, a few miles to the north of Ballymoney town, on the long straight road leading up to the village. The race attracted hundreds of spectators thrilled by the sight of bikes and cars competing for the fastest machine over the mile long course.

Over the next year, the Club also held a hill climb at Keady, near Limavady, a 69 mile reliability trial to Ballymena and back, and another ‘flying mile’ at Dundooan, on the current NW200 circuit.

In June 1923, as the Club grew in stature, it hosted the 50 miles Ulster Championship at Magilligan. Later that autumn, an even more ambitious event took place - a 100 mile road race, covering five laps of twenty miles each from Macosquin-Drummond Corner-Ringsend-Macosquin. Known as the Coleraine ‘100’ the race was won by F.H. Lockett, of Ballymoney MC&LCC.

Above right: H. Lockett