Horse Riding on Council's Beaches
The 148th Open, Royal Portrush Golf Club, Portrush
Please be advised that due to The 148th Open being staged at Royal Portrush Golf Club in Portrush there will be certain restrictions in place during June and July concerning car parking at East Strand and Whiterocks beaches.
East Strand Zone 1 (30% of site) Monday 10th June – Friday 4th August 2019 (inclusive, amended from 9th August 2019)
East Strand Zone 2 (whole site) Monday 1st July – Wednesday 31st July 2019 (inclusive)
Whiterocks Car Park Sunday 14th July - Monday 22nd July 2019 (inclusive)
Horse Riding on Whiterocks beach - from Sunday 14th July - Monday 22nd July 2019 (inclusive) the upper car park at Whiterocks used by horse riders will not be available for public use. Council would remind all horse riders that Downhill and Benone beaches are available for horse riding during this period before 11am and after 7pm daily.
For further information please see following link:
Horse riding on Council's beaches
Horse riding is permitted on Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council's beaches in accordance with Council's 'Management Policy for Horses on Beaches'.
The policy applies to Council's beaches between 1 May and 30 September. The main policy restriction is that the riding of horses on Council's beaches is prohibited between the hours of 11am and 7pm.
Council will expect that all those bringing horses onto any of its beaches:
- are covered by public liability and 3rd party insurance
- are competent in relation to the activity involved
- behave in a way which is respectful and cognisant of other beach users
Examples of good behaviour will include:
- Never galloping past other beach users
- keeping younger/less experienced riders and horses under close supervision
- Avoid parking horse boxes at beach entrance points
- Never riding on the sand dunes or protected areas
- Avoid exercising in a designated bathing area
Any breaches of policy will be referred to Council's Enforcement section for action. Council reserves the right to instigate legal proceedings in relation to material or consistent breaches of this policy.