East Strand Portrush
East Strand Beach, at the heart of the coastal resort of Portrush, forms a continuum of sand, approx. 4 km/2.5 miles long, merging into Curran Strand and Whiterocks at its eastern extremity.
East Strand Beach is popular for water sports all year round, especially surfing. It is also very popular for family activities, including walking and horse riding. The beach is bounded by a pedestrian promenade and an extensive dune system hosting the world famous Royal Portrush Golf Course. There are excellent views of The Skerries and the Causeway headlands.
In 2015 the East Strand Beach received the UK wide Seaside Award.
- free car parking (approx. 650 spaces),
- dogs allowed (restrictions apply 1st June - 15th Sept)
- lifeguard service (July & August 11:00 - 19:00 daily)
- toilets and outside cold showers
- disabled toilets and disabled parking
- concrete access ramps onto beach at both ends of promenade.
- wide range of amenities and facilities, including coffee shops, restaurants and shops, within walking distance of the beach
Did you know?
East Strand Beach and its associated dune system has a rich biodiversity. The dune system has been recently stabilised with help from The Conservation Volunteers.
Look out for the following sea birds; fulmar, eider, gull, guillemot, gannet and tern.