Gigabit Broadband Voucher Scheme for homes and businesses in rural areas
Wed, February 17, 2021
Homes and businesses in rural areas of the Borough may be eligible for funding towards the cost of installing gigabit-capable broadband when part of a group scheme.
Gigabit-capable broadband connections offer the fastest and most reliable speeds available.
Rural premises with broadband speeds of less than 100Mbps can use vouchers worth £1,500 per home and up to £3,500 for each small to medium-sized business (SME) to support the cost of installing new fast and reliable connections.
Who is Eligible?
- Homes and businesses with broadband speeds of less than 100Mbps can use vouchers to support the cost of installing new gigabit-capable connections when part of a group scheme.
- Group projects are when two or more residents and/or SMEs get together to combine their vouchers towards the shared cost of installation. Single connections are not eligible for additional funding.
- New connections should double your current speed but must be at least 30Mbps.
- ‘Rural’ is defined using agreed standard measures in the relevant part of the UK. For the gigabit voucher premises in the following areas will be defined as rural: Northern Ireland – NISRA definitions E – H
Please use postcode checker to see if you are in a rural area. The search will list suppliers that are active in your area.
In addition, in order to qualify for a business voucher you will be asked to self-certify that you meet the European Commission definition of an SME whereby your business has:
- Up to 249 employees (in total in the organisation) and turnover no greater than €50m per annum, and/or
- A balance sheet of no more than €43m
- You will also have to self-certify that you have received less than €200k in public grants in the last 3 years – the de minimis limit.
- You will be asked to provide evidence of your status as a SME or sole trader.
The closing date is February 21st 2021.