Role of the Planning Committee
The Planning Committee (“the Committee”) will be responsible taking the key decisions and actions required specifically in relation to the work of the Planning Department.
This will include:
Taking decisions in relation to the majority of planning decisions unless delegated to appointed officers.
- Recommending to Council the Local Development Plan for adoption.
- Approving and overseeing the delivery of any relevant service strategies for the Planning Department;
- Approving relevant policies and procedures for the Planning Department;
- Monitoring and reviewing business and service delivery plans for the Planning Department;
- Approving the establishment of external partnerships where considered relevant to the role of the Planning Department;
- Approving and monitoring funding sources and mechanisms to assist with various initiatives, projects and actions within the remit of the Planning Department;
- Considering the resource implications of any recommendations.
The Protocol for the Operation of the Planning Committee sets out the procedures for the Planning Committe Meeting
Planning Committee Determination Process
On receipt of a valid planning application the application will go through the following stages:
- Application validated or returned invalid
- Statutory consultees consulted and non-statutory consultees consulted as considered necessary by planning officer
- Publication and Notification – advertisement placed in a local newspaper and/or neighbours notified
- Representations of support/objection received
- Site inspected
- Planning report prepared
- Report considered by Development Management group
- Opinion formed.
- Planning Committee Report prepared for Planning Committee
- Schedule of Applications to the Planning Committee published on Council website on 2nd Wednesday of the month
- Application determined by Planning Committee on 4th Wednesday of the month.
- Decision Notice prepared, signed and issued
- Those who made representations notified of the decision
At any stage between steps 1 and 8, the applicant/agent or a third party who submitted a representation may request one meeting with either the Senior Planning Officer or the Principal Planning Officer to discuss the proposed development. It is the decision of the applicant/agent/third party to decide who accompanies them at the meeting, for example an elected representative.
In accordance with the Protocol for the Operation of the Planning Committee (available to view via the following link https://www.causewaycoastandglens.gov.uk/uploads/general/Revised_Protocol_for_the_Operation_of_the_Planning_Committee_November_20.._.pdf)
Following acceptance of a request for a referral by an elected member, a Planning Committee Report is prepared and the application is placed on an agenda for a forthcoming Planning Committee meeting.
The agenda for the Planning Committee meeting, including the Planning Committee Report, is circulated to Committee Members in advance of the meeting, normally 2 weeks in advance. The schedule of applications for determination at the forthcoming Planning Committee meeting is also uploaded onto the Planning section of Councils website at that time.
Members of the public must not circulate information directly to Members of the Planning Committee. This information will only be considered if submitted directly to the Planning Department or via email@example.com.
Updated information received after the agenda has issued will be circulated to Members. The Planning Officer shall prepare an addendum report(s) to advise Members about the consideration of any updated information received since the agenda issued that is required to inform the decision. If the information is received after 10am on the Friday prior to the Committee meeting, the Officer will advise Members verbally in respect of same.
In accordance with para. 6.4 of the Protocol, all parties wishing to address the Committee on a planning application must register their wish to do so with the Planning Department either in writing to Planning Department, Cloonavin, 66 Portstewart Road, Coleraine BT52 1 EY or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org All requests to address the Committee on a planning application must be received by 10am on the Friday immediately prior to the Planning Committee meeting and must provide their name, whether they are speaking in support or objecting to the application and the planning reference number of the application on which they wish to speak. Only those registered to speak within the timeframe will be allowed to address the Committee either to speak or answer questions.
In lieu of speaking, Council Members and members of the public may submit representations in writing for consideration by the Committee. Written representations must be received by the Planning Department or via email by 10am on the Friday prior to the Planning Committee meeting and will be reported to the Committee via an Addendum Report. Representations in lieu of speaking received after this time will be returned.
An application scheduled for determination at the Planning Committee will not be withdrawn from the schedule due to failure of interested parties to register their request to speak within the above specified timeframe.
You can view a planning decision on:
You can also view the minutes of the Planning Committee on the Council website after they have been agreed by the Committee.
Scheme of Delegation
If you want to speak on an application at the meeting you must register your request to do so by 10am on the Friday immediately prior to the Planning Committee meeting. You can send your request via email to email@example.com or submit it to Planning Department, Cloonavin, 66 Portstewart Road, Coleraine, BT52 1EY.
It is important to note the following:
- Speakers cannot circulate any documentation, including the use of PowerPoint presentation, at the meeting.
- Speakers will have a total of 5 minutes for those objecting to the proposal
- The applicant/agent/supporters for the application will also have a total of 5 minutes speaking rights
Planning Committee Agendas and Minutes
Schedule of Applications
If you would like further information, please contact us
028 7034 7100