Role of the Planning Committee
The Planning Committee (“the Committee”) will be responsible taking the key decisions and actions required specifically in relation to the work of the Planning Department.
This will include:
Taking decisions in relation to the majority of planning decisions unless delegated to appointed officers.
- Recommending to Council the Local Development Plan for adoption.
- Approving and overseeing the delivery of any relevant service strategies for the Planning Department;
- Approving relevant policies and procedures for the Planning Department;
- Monitoring and reviewing business and service delivery plans for the Planning Department;
- Approving the establishment of external partnerships where considered relevant to the role of the Planning Department;
- Approving and monitoring funding sources and mechanisms to assist with various initiatives, projects and actions within the remit of the Planning Department;
- Considering the resource implications of any recommendations.
The Protocol for the Operation of the Planning Committee sets out the procedures for the Planning Committe Meeting
Planning Committee Determination Process
On receipt of a valid planning application the application will go through the following stages:
- Application validated or returned invalid
- Statutory consultees consulted and non-statutory consultees consulted as considered necessary by planning officer
- Publication and Notification – advertisement placed in a local newspaper and/or neighbours notified
- Representations of support/objection received
- Site inspected
- Planning report prepared
- Report considered by Development Management group
- Opinion formed.
- Planning Committee Report prepared for Planning Committee
- Schedule of Applications to the Planning Committee published on Council website on 2nd Wednesday of the month
- Application determined by Planning Committee on 4th Wednesday of the month.
- Decision Notice prepared, signed and issued
- Those who made representations notified of the decision
At any stage between steps 1 and 8, the applicant/agent or a third party who submitted a representation may request one meeting with either the Senior Planning Officer or the Principal Planning Officer to discuss the proposed development. It is the decision of the applicant/agent/third party to decide who accompanies them at the meeting, for example an elected representative.
You can view a planning decision on:
You can also view the minutes of the Planning Committee on the Council website after they have been agreed by the Committee.
Scheme of Delegation
If you want to speak on an application at the meeting you must register your request to do so by 10am on the Friday immediately prior to the Planning Committee meeting. You can send your request via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or submit it to Planning Department, Cloonavin, 66 Portstewart Road, Coleraine, BT52 1EY.
It is important to note the following:
- Speakers cannot circulate any documentation, including the use of PowerPoint presentation, at the meeting.
- Speakers will have a total of 5 minutes for those objecting to the proposal
- The applicant/agent/supporters for the application will also have a total of 5 minutes speaking rights
Planning Committee Agendas and Minutes
Schedule of Applications
If you would like further information, please contact us
028 7034 7100