Some helpful tips to prolong the life of your clothes:
- Denim lasts forever between washes. Denim is super durable and easy to spot clean, but can lose its shape drastically with each wash.
- Organize your laundry. When it is time to do laundry, carefully read the care labels on your clothes and divide accordingly. Not only dividing lights and darks but cool dry and gentle rinse cycles. Your clothes will stay looking like new for longer.
- Use a mesh bag for washing delicates. Put delicates inside it before washing to prevent them from catching on the washing machine and other garments.
- If something shrinks in the wash, keep it damp and then stretch it. Often damp items can be gently stretched back to shape. After gently stretching the damp and shrunken item with your hands, try wearing it while it dries so it reshapes to your body.
- Avoid the tumble dryer! It is better for you, the environment, and your CLOTHES if you air dry. Dryers not only rapidly dry your clothes, but wear down your clothes much quicker . Most pieces can be dried outside or a clothes stand in the house.
- NEVER use the tumble dryer on your bras. This will seriously damage the structure and support intended.
- Keep bras organized and folded properly to maintain the cups. Fold padded bras in half with the straps tucked under the cups. This helps them keep their shape.
- If you must use the tumble dryer, always clean the lint trap after every load, and use the most gentle setting. Always check your garment care label if you can tumble dry the item.
- Iron your clothes with care, always check the care label and iron setting before you start.
- When your clothes are done drying, hang or fold them as soon as you can to help maintain their shape. Use good fitting hangers.
- Don’t over crowd your wardrobe. Cramming clothes together, not only wrinkles, but wears down sensitive fabrics.
Click on the link to find out more helpful hints and tips on how to look after the clothes and how to do some minor repairs loveyourclothes.org.uk
Listed below are some well know local charity shops within the Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council area. They will be delighted to receive any of you unwanted clothes plus other items that are no longer useful to you, but are still in good condtion.
Action Cancer, 7 Railway Road, Coleraine, BT52 1PD
Types of items Action Cancer would love to receive:
|ladies clothing||ladies accessories||gents shoes|
|ladies shoes||books||gents accessories|
|ladies handbags||gents clothing|
Age Concern Causeway, 3 Brook Street, Coleraine BT52 1PW
telephone number: 028 7035 7966
All money raised from our shop is used exclusively to fund services in the Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council area.
Items that Age Concern Causeway would love to receive:
|Age Concern Causeway|
|Clothes (all ages)||Footwear||Vinyl records||Pictures||Toys and jigsaws|
|Accessories||Books (The Book Room)||Sports accessories||Curtains||Board games|
|Handbags||Cd's and DVD's||China, crockery and glassware||Jewellery||Sportswear|
Age NI, 26c Railway Road, Coleraine, BT52 1PD
Types of items Age NI would love to receive:
|Clothes||small electrical items||toys|
|shoes||small items of furniture||textiles|
|books||CDs & DVDs||bric-a-brac|
Ballycastle Concern, 63 Castle Street, Ballycastle, BT54 6AS
Contact Details: Ballycastle Concern
telephone number: 07738819208
Types of items Ballycastle Concern would love to receive:
Please note: We do not have room for furniture or larger tiems of toys - "No Electrical Items"
|clothing for men||clothing for women||small items for bathroom|
|bedding||curtains||small household items for kitchen|
|small toys||clothing for children|
Barnardo's, 19-21 Main Street, Ballymoney, BT53 6AN
telephone number: 028 2766 6658
Items that Barnardo's would love to receive:
|Ladies clothes||Mens clothes||Bric-a-brac||Prams, but no car seats|
|Ladies shoes||Mens shoes||Curtains||High chairs and cots|
|Ladies bags||Mens bags||Toys||Children's clothing|
Barnardos, 16 Stone Row, Coleraine, BT52 1EP
telephone number: 028 7034 43134
Types of items Barnardos would love to receive:
|books||CDs / DVDs||clothes||vintage items|
Benvardin Animal Rescue Kennels, 32 Main Street, Ballymoney, BT53 6AL
telephone number: 07702 278 874
Items that Benvardin Animal Rescue Kennels would love to receive:
We also do local collections.
|clothes||toys||jewellery||lamps||blankets for dogs|
|books||furniture||CDs||radios||small household items|
Blythswood Ireland, Units 2-3, Meeting House Lane, Ballymoney, BT53 6JN
telephone number: 028 2766 6178
Items that Blythswood Ireland would love to receive:
We can collect or deliver furniture on Tuesdays and Thursdays each week.
|saucepans||birc-a-brac||childrens clothes||pictures||shoes||ladies handbags||antiques|
|collectables||mens shoes||books||ladies hats||DVDs||CDs||electrical items (no white goods)|
Pratically Perfect, 16 Railway Road, Coleraine BT52 1PD
telephone number: 07709 551 999 or 07739 321 498
Items that Practically Perfect would love to receive:
|ladies clothes||mens clothes||childrens clothes||toys||DVDs||small furniture||new electrical items|
|ladies shoes||mens shoes||baby clothes||bicycles||games||jewellery|
|ladies accessories||mens accessories||handbags||books||household items||unopened cosmetics|
Self Help Africa, 31 Railway Road, Coleraine, BT52 1PE
telephone number: 028 7035 3876
Shop closed Mondays and Tuesdays of every week.
Small items of furniture only please.
Items that Self Help Africa would love to receive:
|Ladies clothing||Babies Clothing||Men's shoes||Duvet covers|
|Men' clothing||DVD's||Ladies shoes||Pillow cases|
|Children clothing||CD's||Small electrical items||Furniture (small items only)|
St Vincent De Paul, 52 Maghera Street, Kilrea, BT51 5QN
telephone number: 028 2954 0103
Items that St Vincent De Paul would love to receive:
In the interest of health and safety, items not to be left outside the shop when shop is closed. Large pieces of furniture can be donated to our dedicated furniture shops. Please check http://www.svp.ie or your local shop for details of the nearest furnture shop.
|clean wearable clothes (ladies, gents, childrens)||toys (small new toys only)||fashion accessories||jewellery||books||crafts|
|saleable household items||pillow cases (no pillows)||general collactables||blankets||curtains|
|duvet covers (no duvets)||CDs, DVDs & Vinyl||school uniforms||bric-a-brac||antiques|
The Open Door Drop-In and Charity Centre, 41-43 Main Street, Ballymoney BT53
telephone number: 07741 417 354
The centre is open from 10am to 5pm Monday to Saturday
Items that The Open Door Drop-in and Charity Centre would love to receive:
|Ladies clothes||Jewellery||Bridal Wear||Victorian goods|
|Men's clothes||Small furniture||Pictures||Fishing rods|
|Children's clothes||Hand made cards||Mirrors||Children's bicycles|
|Toys||Christian books||Knitting wool||Remnants of cloth|