Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council Play Investment Strategy
The Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council Play Investment Strategy establishes a strategic and operational framework within which decision making will be made as it relates to the provision and maintenance of fixed play areas and the future development of non-fixed approaches to meeting play need. In developing the strategy, Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council affirms its commitment the child’s right to play as articulated in Article 31 of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child. Through the strategy we aim to ensure that children and young people who reside within or visit the area have access to high value play opportunities that support their growth and development whilst providing fun and enjoyment.
Central to the strategy is a recognition that play is one of the most, if not the most important activity that children and young people engage in as they grow and develop. The desire to play is a natural, fundamental part of children lives. By supporting active engagement in play through the childhood years this strategy seeks to support children’s development in a number of key ways by:
- Providing fun and enjoyable means of developing physical and mental health and wellbeing
- Supporting the development of social connections and friendships through social play opportunities
- Supporting intellectual growth and the development of practical skills through the provision of creative and more challenging play opportunities
- Supporting children to develop their personal resilience through play, and
- Establishing a connection between children at play and the community in which they live.