Councillor Sean Bateson is The Mayor of Causeway Coast and Glens for 2019/2020.
Councillor Sean Bateson was appointed Mayor of Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council in May 2019 after topping the poll in the Bann DEA, his inaugural election. A native of Kilrea, Sean is a qualified history teacher and is passionate about promoting the role of young people within society.
A keen sportsperson, Councillor Bateson wants to enhance and promote the Causeway Coast and Glens as a place of investment, work and tourism following on from the major success of The 148th Open staged in Portrush in July.
Councillor Bateson has highlighted mental health as one of his key themes this year. His chosen charity is The Zachary Geddis Break The Silence Trust, established by the Geddis family after the death of their son Zachary through suicide.
Vowing to be an advocate for all within the Causeway Coast and Glens, Councillor Bateson is looking forward to fulfilling his duties and representing Causeway Coast and Glens in the best light possible.
Duties and Responsibilities of the Mayor
As Mayor of Causeway Coast and Glens, Councillor Bateson has a number of duties and responsibilities, including:
- presiding over Council Meetings.
- promoting and raising awareness of the Council’s main objectives and priority issues.
- encouraging and supporting all aspects of life in Causeway Coast and Glens by attending civic and public events.
- receiving distinguished visitors to the Borough.
- acting as host on behalf of the Council and the citizens of Causeway Coast and Glens at civic functions.
- acting as a spokesperson to the local, national and international media.
- providing an appropriate response on behalf of Causeway Coast and Glens at times of local, national and international catastrophe.
- supporting and encouraging charitable and other appeals as appropriate.
- promoting Causeway Coast and Glens business, commercial, cultural and social life.
- promoting Causeway Coast and Glens as a place of excellence in which to live to do business and as a tourist destination.
The address for correspondence is:
Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council
66 Portstewart Road
Telephone: 028 7034 7010