Councillor Richard Holmes is The Mayor of Causeway Coast and Glens for 2021/2022.
Councillor Richard Holmes was appointed Mayor on June 7th 2021.
The Mayor lives on a family farm near Garvagh and has worked within the construction and food manufacturing sectors, holding a variety of roles from Planning and Logistics to Operations Director and Managing Director in the SME sector.
He was first elected to Coleraine Borough Council in 2011 and to Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council in 2014 and 2019 for the Bann District Electoral Area.
With his background in business, Councillor Holmes proposed the establishment of Council’s Enterprise Fund to support new start-up businesses. This is an area he is passionate about and as Mayor will actively promote and support.
Causeway Coast and Glens is the jewel in Northern Ireland’s tourist economy and Councillor Holmes wants to ensure it is supported and helped through a recovery phase to ensure the retention of such a vibrant sector post pandemic.
2021 is Northern Ireland’s centenary year and Councillor Holmes wants to ensure we showcase all that is great about our home, both here and abroad.
Building strong communities, robust businesses and a great place for families to live and grow is key to the success of Causeway Coast and Glens as we look towards Northern Ireland’s second century.
The Mayor wants Council and Councillors to show leadership to ensure staff work for a great organisation and the public have confidence in our functions and decisions.
Duties and Responsibilities of the Mayor
As Mayor of Causeway Coast and Glens, Councillor Holmes has a number of duties and responsibilities, including:
- presiding over Council Meetings.
- promoting and raising awareness of the Council’s main objectives and priority issues.
- encouraging and supporting all aspects of life in Causeway Coast and Glens by attending civic and public events.
- receiving distinguished visitors to the Borough.
- acting as host on behalf of the Council and the citizens of Causeway Coast and Glens at civic functions.
- acting as a spokesperson to the local, national and international media.
- providing an appropriate response on behalf of Causeway Coast and Glens at times of local, national and international catastrophe.
- supporting and encouraging charitable and other appeals as appropriate.
- promoting Causeway Coast and Glens business, commercial, cultural and social life.
- promoting Causeway Coast and Glens as a place of excellence in which to live to do business and as a tourist destination.
The address for correspondence is:
Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council
66 Portstewart Road
Telephone: 028 7034 7010